Beckley Renaissance & the City of Beckley organize special events and projects in the community.
Tentative 2014 Events / Festivals include:
• Feb. 22 - Beckley's Bridal, Prom & Special Occasions Fair at Tamarack (organized by The Register-Herald)
April 5 - Souper Saturday - Soup Tasting, Art Walk, Music, 4-7 pm; music by Liberty High School (Neville stage & The Raleigh) and Autumn Blair (Shoemaker Square)
May 10 - Sweet Treats - dessert event fund-raiser for the United Way, featuring music by Raleigh County schools, Beckley Intermodal Gateway
• May 16 - August 29 - Fridays in the Park (weekly lunch concerts) at Word Park on Neville Street, 11:30 am - 1:00 pm
April - October - Gold Rush Flea Market at Beckley Intermodal Gateway parking building on Neville Street; for info, contact Kathy Bane at 304-252-0192 or Mike Hamilton at 304-894-8112
May 26 - Beckley Founder's Day at Wildwood
• June - August - Historic Ghost Tours - Saturdays evenings, call 304-256-TOUR
• June 28 - Beckley Renaissance's Annual Motorcycle & Car Show, 5 - 8 pm, live music, vehicle registration 5:00 - 6:00 pm $15, specialty trophies, door prizes
• July 4 - Fireworks (tentative), Armory / Raleigh County Convention Center area; 9:30 pm
• July - Sept. - Tailgate Farmers Market; (tentative days/hours: Wednesdays 3 - 6 pm & Fridays 10 am - 2 pm), contact WVU Ext. 304-255-9321
• July 18 - Cruise-in Car Show; vehicle registration at YMCA Sports Complex 2 - 6:00 pm (in conjunction with the Friends of Coal Auto Fair - combined registration - www.Friends of Coal Auto Fair.com); cruise leaves the YMCA complex around 6:00 pm to town (uptown streets will not be blocked until the cruise arrives); Uptown Show 6:15 - 8 pm; specialty trophies, dash plaques, food vendors, live music.
• August 2 - WVAFF Pageant - Miss, Teen, & Mrs. pageant for the Beckley Kids Classic Festival; Call 304-252-4769 for details.
• August tba - Kids Festival Children's Pageant at the Youth Museum; Phone: 304-252-4769
• August 23 - Taste of Appalachia (part of the Appalachian Festival), block party from 6 - 9 pm; food vendors; free entertainment, 8:30 - Ghost tours $ (call 304-256-TOUR for reservation); Info: www.appalachianfestival.net
• September 2 - 7 - Kids Classic Festival - various activities throughout the community - includes Kids Fair & Parade on Sept. 6; click on Kids Classic on the left for schedule of events; click on Kids Fest on the left for parade/vendor form
• October 4 - Chili Night, 5 - 9 pm, chili competition (click on chili night on left for registration form - accepting applications from August 15 - Sept. 14 only); Block party includes 3 stages of entertainment; 40+ chili vendors, plus other vendors; Tickets $5 for 5 sample tickets and a voting coin (Event held in conjunction with the Rocket Boys Festival - for info, visit www.rocketboysfestival.com).
• October 25 - Tailgate Halloween, organized by the Youth Museum, 11 am - 1 pm
• November 11 - Veteran's Day Parade, organized by the American Legion 304-252-2219, 11 am
December 6 - Christmas Parade, 1 pm
For more event information, call 304-256-1776 or visit www.raleighcountyevents.com or beckleyevents.com or like "Beckley Events" on Facebook.