Beckley Renaissance & the City of Beckley organize special events and projects in the community.
2013 Events / Festivals include:
• Feb. 23 - Beckley's Bridal, Prom & Special Occasions Fair at Tamarack (organized by The Register-Herald)
April 6 - Souper Saturday (fundraiser for Theatre WV) - Soup Stroll & Art Walk, 4 - 7 p.m., Tickets sold during event from 4 - 6 pm at the gazebos; $5 = four soup sample tickets, a voting coin & prize passport; Bring a can of soup for the Carpenters Corner soup kitchen and receive a sample ticket. Each stop along the stroll features a soup, entertainment &/or artist, and a silent auction package for bidding. Call 304-256-1776 or TWV at 304-256-6800 for more details. Click on "soup stroll" on the left for registration form.
May 11 - Sweet Treats - dessert event fund-raiser for the United Way, featuring music by Raleigh County schools, 2 - 4 pm, Word Park
• May 17 - August 30 - Fridays in the Park (weekly lunch concerts) at Word Park on Neville Street, 11:30 am - 1:00 pm
April - October - Gold Rush Flea Market at Beckley Intermodal Gateway parking building on Neville Street; for info, contact Kathy Bane at 304-252-0192 or Mike Hamilton at 304-894-8112
May 26 - Beckley Founder's Day at Wildwood
• June - August - Historic Ghost Tours - Saturdays at 8:30 pm, call 304-256-TOUR
• June 5 - 26 - Wednesdays in the Square - lunchtime music series at Shoemaker Square, 11:45 - 12:45
June 15 - Appalachian Festival Teen & Miss Pageant
June 20 - WV Day - celebrate WV's 150th birthday with a tour of Wildwood House Museum
• June 22 - Beckley Renaissance's Annual Motorcycle & Car Show, 5 - 8 pm, live music, vehicle registration 5:00 - 6:00 pm $15, specialty trophies, door prizes
• July 4 - Fireworks, Armory / Raleigh County Convention Center area; 9:30 pm
• July - Sept. - Tailgate Farmers Market at Beckley Intermodal Gateway Plaza; (tentative days/hours) Mondays 3 - 6 pm, Wednesdays 9 am - 1 pm & Fridays 9 am - 1 pm, contact WVU Ext. 304-255-9321
• July 19 - Cruise-in Car Show; vehicle registration at YMCA Sports Complex 2 - 6:00 pm (in conjunction with the Friends of Coal Auto Fair - combined registration - www.Friends of Coal Auto Fair.com); cruise leaves the YMCA complex at 6:00 pm to town (uptown streets will not be blocked until the cruise arrives); Uptown Show 6:30 - 9 pm; specialty trophies, dash plaques, food vendors, live music.
• August 3 - WVAFF Pageant - Miss, Teen, & Mrs. pageant for the Beckley Kids Classic Festival at Tamarack; Call 304-252-4769 for details.
• August tba - Kids Festival Children's Pageant at the Youth Museum; Phone: 304-252-4769
• August 24 - Taste of Appalachia (part of the Appalachian Festival), block party from 6 - 9 pm; food vendors; free entertainment, 8:30 - Ghost tours $ (call 304-256-TOUR for reservation); Info: www.appalachianfestival.net
• September 1 - 8 - Kids Classic Festival - various activities throughout the community - includes Kids Fair & Parade on Sept. 7; click on Kids Classic on the left for schedule of events; click on Kids Fest on the left for parade/vendor form
• October 5 - Chili Night, 5 - 9 pm, chili competition (click on chili night on left for registration form - accepting applications from August 15 - Sept. 14 only - REGISTRATION IS CLOSED AS OF SEPT. 16 - NO SPOTS LEFT); Block party includes 3 stages of entertainment: Word Park - WWHS band, Cody Wickline & Lilly Mountaineers; Main Street - Justin Payne, Krista Hughes, Wade Wright & the Wrong Boys, Back Alley Band; Shoemaker Square - Fog, Motion Theatre, Shea; 42 chili vendors, plus other vendors; Tickets $5 for 5 sample tickets and a voting coin (Event will be part of the October Sky Rocket Boys Festival - for info, visit www.rocketboysfestival.com).
• October 26 - Tailgate Halloween, organized by the Youth Museum, 11 am - 1 pm
• November 11 - Veteran's Day Parade, organized by the American Legion 304-252-2219, 11 am
December 7 - Christmas Parade, 1 pm
For more event information, call 304-256-1776 or visit www.raleighcountyevents.com or beckleyevents.com or like "Beckley Events" on Facebook.