CITIZENS POLICE ACADEMY
Beckley Police Department
Application are currently being accepted for our March 2022 CPA class
What is the Citizen’s Police Academy?
The Citizen’s Police Academy is a class coordinated by the Beckley Police Department. The goal of the academy is designed to increase understanding between citizens and the police department through training and exciting hands-on exercises and discussion.
In addition to classroom training, students are given the opportunity to:
- Ride with patrol officers,
- Tour and observe the operations of the Southern Regional Jail,
- Tour and observe the operation of the Emergency Operation Center. (911 Center)
- IMPORTANT: while completion of this course gives citizens an understanding of the workings of the Beckley Police Department, it does not make a participant a certified law enforcement officer, nor is it designed to train citizens to perform law enforcement duties.
Who can participate?
Beckley and Raleigh County residents, merchants and students who are 18 years of age or older.
A criminal history check will be conducted to verify information provided by the participant. There is a maximum enrollment 20 students.
When is the Citizen’s Police Academy?
Citizens police Academy will begin on Wednesday March 30, 2022. Class will be held on Wednesday nights
How do I sign up?
Application can be downloaded by following the Apply Now link below or from the Beckley Police Department Records Division.
Read all requirements. Complete the application. Deliver the completed application by mail, fax, or in person.
- Must be a resident of Beckley or Raleigh County.
- Must be 18 years of age or older.
- Must produce valid photo identification.
- May not presently be under indictment or under an order of protection from the courts.
- May have no felony convictions against them.
- May have no misdemeanor arrests two year prior to the academy entrance date.
- May not have been involuntarily committed to a mental health facility.
- Will provide the department with a release for a criminal background investigation.
- Will sign a waiver of liability to participate in the program.
Expectations for Participants
Classes will start promptly at 6:00 P.M. and end at approximately 9:00 P.M.;
However, if we run late, or if you have a commitment and must leave, feel free to do so.
No dangerous or deadly weapons are permitted to be carried or concealed by students of the academy.
Information shared with you may be regarded as confidential.