COAL CAMP CHURCH
Exhibition Coal Mine | 513 Ewart Ave Beckley, WV 25801
The Pemberton Coal Camp Church was built in the Coal Camp of Pemberton, West Virginia in 1921. Coal Baron Thomas Hurst Wickham was responsible for for financing and building the town of Pemberton. Mr. Wickham paid for having this church built and gave it as a gift to the community.
The church was the center of the coal camp community. It was where the people came together to worship God with love and pride. Social and business meetings were held in the church. The church was kept immaculate both inside and out. Pews were polished to a brillant shine every window sparkled.
The minister was a part of the community. He married folks, preached to them on Sunday, visited them through the week and even buried them.