Any owner or authorized agent who intends to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish, or change the occupancy of a building or structure, or to erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert or replace any electrical, gas, mechanical or plumbing system, the installation of which is regulated by code, or to cause any such work to be done, will need to apply for a Building Permit.

Complete and return the Building Permit Pre-Application, or obtain one at the Code Enforcement Department at 232 Industrial Drive.

Most work consisting of structural changes will require submission of plans that must be reviewed before the permit can be issued. Plan review is provided by the code enforcement office for no charge. There are scheduled days for plan reviews so please take that into consideration before starting any projects.

For questions pertaining to building permits please contact our office at 304.256.1738.


Any construction or work to be done in a flood hazard area will have to obtain and complete the Floodplain Development Permit Application

To see if your property is in or near a floodplain you can use the WV Flood Tool


Construction or work for which a permit is required shall be subject to inspection by the building official and such construction or work shall remain accessible and exposed for inspection purposes until approved.

Note: 24 hour notice is required to schedule inspections


Footing and foundations
Concrete slab and under-floor
Lowest floor elevation (in flood hazard areas)
Gypsum board and gypsum panel product (that are part of a fire-resistance-rated assembly or a shear assembly)
Energy Efficiency (Insulation)
Final Inspections (for issuance of Certificate of Occupancy) or to close out the building permit.


All contractors have to be registered with the Code Enforcement Office before you can obtain any building permits. To register, fill out the Contractor Application Form, it can be emailed or brought to the office.

The Code Enforcement Office will need copies of the following: West Virginia Contractor’s License, West Virginia State Tax Business Registration Certificate, West Virginia Compensation, Public liability Insurance, and any applicable mechanic licenses. (Plumbing, Electrical, HVAC).


The City of Beckley provides plan review BEFORE permits may be issued. Contact our office to confirm plan review schedule.

Commercial plan review requires three sets of drawings. TWO of the sets are preferred to be submitted in a PDF format and ONE paper set is for the job site.

Residential plans will only need 2 sets submitted.

Storm water retention and/or sanitary/sewer service approvals are required before the permit may be issued. Telephone number for the Beckley Sanitary Board is 304.256.1760.

B & O Tax information contact Heather Richmond at 304.256.1758.

Commercial permits must be approved by the City of Beckley Fire Marshal prior to permit being issued.


Building Codes currently adopted by the City of Beckley:

West Virginia State Building Code
2018 International Building Code
2018 International Residential Code
2018 International Existing Building Code
2018 International Plumbing Code
2018 International Mechanical Code
2018 International Fuel Gas Code
2015 International Energy Conservation Code (Residential)
2013 ASHRAE 90.1 Standard (Commercial)
2018 Property Maintenance Code
2018 International Swimming Pool and Spa Code
2020 NFPA 70 – National Electric Code

Fire Prevention Code :

2021 edition of the National Fire Codes
2021 edition of the National Fire Codes Supplement


Donald Morgan
Doug Green
Robert Donelow
Andrew Shrewsberry
Derek Cook
Andrew Garland
Adam Carrico
Adam Shrewsberry