EXHIBITION COAL MINE AND YOUTH MUSEUM
EXHIBITION COAL MINE – Closed for the season.
YOUTH MUSEUM – Winter Hours
Tues. – Sat.
10:00 am – 5:00 pm
- Advance tickets are not required for visitors.
- There will be no underground tours of the Mine. In lieu, a video will be available to watch.
- The Mine Museum, Coal Camp, Youth Museum, and Mountain Homestead are open.
- Everyone is expected to follow social distancing requirements.
- Maximum capacity will be limited and visitors may experience a short wait for admittance.
- Face masks are required for all visitors ages 2 and older (unless medically unable to wear a mask)
- Please check our prices – they have changed to reflect the modifications of the attraction.
- Please check our hours – they have changed.
- If you are not feeling well, please stay home.
No matter what time of year you visit Beckley, West Virginia, you will find many scenic, cultural, and recreational opportunities awaiting you. Two of the most unique attractions are the Beckley Exhibition Coal Mine and the Youth Museum of Southern West Virginia. These two popular institutions officially joined April 1, 2002, in an effort to portray the history, culture and character of this uncommon coal-mining region.
As the focal points of the City’s lovely New River Park, the Exhibition Coal Mine and the Youth Museum draw thousands of people to the area annually. The unique underground mine, the recreated coal camp, the Youth Museum and their Mountain Homestead are surrounded by inviting lawns, colorful flowers, picnic areas, an imposing coal miner statue and a whimsical 20 ft. “Peace Totem”.
Located just footsteps away from the Exhibition Coal Mine, the Youth Museum of Southern West Virginia is open to the public year round and available at any time for pre-arranged tour groups.
The Youth Museum’s main gallery is made up of four railroad boxcars. The central exhibit area features an average of three different exhibits yearly. Designed to entertain as well as educate, the exhibits range from “T-Rex”, “Bats”, and “Artist in the Studio” to “Page after Page”, an award winning children’s authors presentation.