Police Department | 501 Neville St. Beckley, WV 25801 | 304-256-1720 | 304-256-1721

To make a Compliment, Suggestion or Complaint:

You Can Call:

Our Records Division 24 hours a day at (304) 256-1720 and they will contact the on-duty Shift Commander for you. During normal business hours you can also call the Professional Standards supervisor at (304) 256-1708.

You Can Mail a Compliment or Complaint to:

Beckley Police Department, Attention: Lt. Jason McDaniel, 501 Neville St. Beckley, WV 25801

We prefer that you let us have your name, address and telephone number so that we can contact you for more information and/or to keep you updated on our investigation. However, if you wish to remain anonymous, we will still take and investigate your complaint to the extent necessary.

Officer Compliment and Complaint Form

Common Questions

Does this mean that the Police Department seeks complaints?

No. However, we want to be told if a job appears to have been done ineffectively, or if there’s an area of service that can be improved.

But will you listen to my complaint?

Certainly, we will listen to your complaint and will investigate it thoroughly.

Who will investigate my complaint?

Either a special investigator from the Professional Standards Division or the officer’s supervisor will investigate a complaint against a member of the department.

But I want to take this all the way to the top. I want the Chief of Police to know.

And he will. The Chief of Police learns of all complaints against officers. Each of the officer’s supervisors is notified as well.

Do I have to give my name to file a complaint?

We will investigate anonymous complaints. However, such complaints can be very difficult to investigate as additional information may be needed, and therefore, the outcome may not be what the complainant expected. Additionally, we cannot notify the complainant of the outcome of the investigation.

Do I have to complain in person?

We prefer to talk to you in person so that your information can be represented more thoroughly, but we will accept a complaint by telephone, letter, the attached form or in person. We may need to contact you for additional information to fully investigate your complaint. In some situations, such as a formal complaint, it will be necessary to speak with you in person. This meeting could take place in the police station, at your home, or other reasonable location.

Will my complaint be published in the newspaper?

No. All complaints against department employees are kept confidential by the department. (Unless a court order is issued to the contrary.)

Will the police officer know that I have made a complaint against him or her?

Yes, the officer has a right to know the charge made against him/her and the identity of the person making the allegation.

Will the department retaliate against me for making a complaint against an officer?

Absolutely not! It is essential to maintain public confidence in the ability of the department to investigate and properly adjudicate complaints against its members.

I’m under 18. Do I have the right to complain?

Yes. Just bring one of your parents, guardians, or a responsible adult in with you.

What will happen to the officer?

That will depend on what the officer did. If the officer’s actions were criminal, the Raleigh County Prosecutor’s Office will be notified of the investigation and will help determine a course of action. If the officer’s actions were improper, but not criminal, corrective action will be taken by the Chief of Police. If the facts of the investigation support the conclusion that the officer’s actions were legal and proper, he/she will be exonerated. Should the facts indicate that your complaint is false; the complaint will be declared unfounded. We will follow the guidelines of the West Virginia Police Officer’s Bill of Rights. You will, in any event, always be notified of the results of our investigation.