YOUTH COUNCIL APPLICATION
Applications for Beckley’s Event Youth Council due May 11
Youth ages 14 to 19 have the opportunity to help with local events by joining Beckley’s Events Youth Council organized by the Beckley’s Events Committee for the City of Beckley. The mission of the youth council is to provide input and assistance regarding youth activities and programming during several of Beckley’s events. The events include Car & Bike Shows (May 27, June 24 & July 29), the Appalachian Festival (August 25-27), Kids Classic Festival (September 9), and Chili Night (October 7), plus other optional events. The Youth Council usually consists of five to 15 members between the ages of 14 and 19. Members are selected from an application process. Selected members will be able to attend meetings and should plan to help during at least two of the events. The time commitment ranges from 10 to 20 hours during event months (June to October). Members have the opportunity to meet with committees and learn about planning and promoting special events. Activities may include event set-up, promotion, admissions, sales, event ambassadors, and/or assist with games, parades, & judging contests. According to Jill Moorefield of Beckley Events, “The Youth Council provides a great opportunity for youth to accomplish community service hours & learn leadership skills. Past Youth Council members have provided much help during our events.
Several of last year’s members have expressed interest in serving again this year.” Anyone interested in serving on the youth council, should complete an application and submit it for review by May 11, 2017. Applications are being sent to Raleigh County high schools and may also be requested by calling 304-256-1776 or visiting the website www.beckley.org
Selected members will be notified by May 19th
To provide input and assistance regarding youth activities and programming during these Beckley Events:
- May 27, June 24 & July 29 – Car & Bike Shows
- August 25 – 27 – Appalachian Festival (Taste of Beckley on Aug. 26)
- September 2 – 11 – Kids Classic Festival (Kids Street Fair on Sept. 9)
- October 7 – Chili Night
- Plus other special events (optional) i.e. new Rhododendron Festival activities in May, label candy for Tailgate Halloween & help line-up Christmas Parade
- Members must be between the ages of 14 & 19 by June 1 st of this year.
- Members will need to:
- Attend at least one meeting
- Attend and help during at least two (2) of the events (min. 3 hours each)
- Total time commitment normally ranges from 10 to 20 hours over six months
The Youth Council will consist of 5 to 15 members:
Members will be selected from Raleigh County applications. Completed applications should be post-marked by May 10. Past members have the option to re-apply. Some of our festival queens have the option to serve on the council.
Youth Council Benefits:
- Members serve a one year term (most events held June – October)
- Member will receive a Youth Council or a festival shirt
- Members may develop and implement a youth project / goal
- Members will have the opportunity to meet with committees and learn about planning and promoting special events
- Activities may include event set-up, promotion, admissions, sales, event ambassadors, &/or assist with games, parades, & judging contests
- The Youth Council provides a great opportunity to accomplish community service hours & learn leadership skills.
If interested in serving on the Youth Council, please complete the attached application and submit it for review by May 11 th – mail completed application to
Beckley Events, P O Box 5015, Beckley, WV 25801 or fax to 304-256-1816. Selected members will be notified by May 19 th .